Thursday, March 13, 2014

Recalling an Interview Guest

Captain Jim Tilmon (ret.) American Airlines
CNN Aviation Correspondent
 
Due to a hectic schedule, I haven't been able to blog with regularity. But last night, I received a Tweet from a reader thanking me for the 2011 interview I was privileged to conduct with Jim Tilmon. It is accessible on my Blog Page by clicking on "The Interview" button. A veteran commercial aviation pilot and a meteorologist, today Jim is an aviation correspondent with CNN.  
 
This past week, the entire world learned of the terrible news surrounding the disappearance of Malaysia Airlines Flight 370--a Boeing 777 en route from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing. A number of pilots and experts from various transportation agencies have appeared on television outlets, in an attempt to bring some rational understanding to this unsolved tragedy. A total of 239 passengers and crew members are missing. Jim's authoritative analysis has proven to be helpful as the massive search effort continues. My thoughts and prayers are with the passengers and family members at this difficult time.
 
 



14 comments:

Catherine said...

The story about the missing plane and passengers is certainly disturbing. I can't imagine what the family of the missing people are going through. Unbearable.
xo Catherine

Lisa @ Two Bears Farm said...

Interesting. Thanks for sharing!

Stephen Hayes said...

I saw Captain Tilmon on TV just this morning. He looked pretty darn tired and probably needs a break. But he does provide good insight. I hope the mystery of this missing flight is solved soon so the families can start the healing process.

Michael Manning said...

Catherine: I agree. Their anxiety and grief is overwhelming. We all hope to discover answers soon.

Michael Manning said...

Thanks Lisa.

Michael Manning said...

Hi Stephen: I think that each of the correspondents have put in many hours of time and energy. I find Jim to be a dedicated and conscientious man who cares about accurately weighing the facts in a story that is changing daily.

Carmi Levy said...

Thank you for sharing this, Michael. I thought of you earlier this week when I was called to do interviews with CTV to explain the phantom phone issue, where members of MH370 passengers' families reported hearing ringing when they tried calling their loved ones.

At first, I found it tough to speak through the tragedy and focus on the tech insight. But before long I settled into my groove and felt fine from then on out. Wish I had seen your hit with him before I went into the studio. Either way, you inspire me more than you know, and I appreciate it.

Michael Manning said...

Hi Carmi: Great to hear from you, albeit, during such a heart breaking story for many families. I can see where the phone issue would be a very tough topic to speak on. But your technical talent and knowledge is surely welcomed, so people can begin to understand at least part of this tragedy. Thanks for your generous words, my friend.

DJ Davy B said...

I like many others am shocked at the story. I can only imagine how bad it is for the families of the missing. I'm just not sure we'll ever know.

Michael Manning said...

DJ Davy: I tend to believe we will know something definitive. But the search must be organized with a central command to deploy the many resources. They will find the truth.

TexWisGirl said...

it is an incredible sad situation. i cannot imagine the families waiting...

Michael Manning said...

I agree with you, Theresa. This is simply an exasperating situation. The families are suffering beyond belief. I do believe that we will eventually find the "Black Box".

Margie said...

I just cannot imagine all those families wondering what happened.
So very heartbreaking.

Michael Manning said...

Yes, Margie. I can't add anything further. I wish I could.